Thursday, June 26, 2008

Red Hot For the Summer


Last week I shared with you some of my favortie Chardonnay’s and Pinot Grigio’s to chill out with in this hot summer heat. In light of your feedback and recent articles I wanted to do another posting on bargain summer wines.  Not only some other white ones, but some reds as well. With a little bit of research you can find a cabernet sauvignon that will fit right into your backyard bbq, and you won’t feel like you are eating the bark right off your oak tree.  

The first wine is one that I tasted a while back so I’m trying to draw memory from my palette on that glorious day…but bear with me. It was Eden Vale Winery’s 2003 MidSummer’s Eve. I was at a wedding in New York (this wine isn’t sold in most grocery stores here in Texas). At the wedding it was paired with red meat, but I remember thinking that it could also go with a seafood pasta. ($14)

I have personally always been a fan of Roses’…when they are done right. Done wrong it can start tasting like Kool-Aid mixed with alcohol and you are headed straight for a headache. However, one rose that I have always enjoyed is Chateau Ste. Michelle 2006 Neillie’s Garden Dry Rose. This wine was originally released exclusively for the wineries Vintage Reserve Club Members, but thanks to all their praises, it is now on the market for all of us to enjoy! Serve this chilled at your next backdoor BBQ with berries to bring out the flavors. ($11)

And for a white. I decided to choose a Riesling because they are traditionally not “oaky.” I choose to talk about Nearly Naked Snoqualmie 2004 Riesling because this vineyard specializes in using 100% organic grapes. Many people would dare to say that it would hardly make a difference in the taste, but it actually does make the wine more refreshing. Just what we need in the summer heat. ($10)


No comments: